golf handicap calculator
What is a golf handicap and why do you need it?
The USGA says the following:
“The purpose of the USGA Handicap System is to make the game of golf more enjoyable by enabling players of differing abilities to compete on an equitable basis. The System provides a fair Course Handicap for each player, regardless of ability…”
The figure we know as a “handicap” is calculated via a 2-step process. To begin with your Index ® is calculated. The Index ® is often known as being movable as it remains the same regardless of the golf course or tee blocks you play from. The second step gives you a Course Handicap. The Course Handicap is specific to the golf course and tee blocks you play from.
Using this golf handicap calculator as a guide only as you'll need to go through an official process with the membership of your chosen golf course. Some will differ from others. Most countries around the world adopt a similar process but there may be some minor differences.
This 100% free golf handicap calculator will help you to work out your 18-hole handicap indexfor scores generated from multiple golf courses.
What's the "Slope Rating"?
This is the USGA's official definition:
Slope Rating defines the USGA mark indicating the measurement of the relative difficulty of a course for non-scratch golfers compared to the Course Rating.
Slope Rating is computed by the following formula:
Bogey rating minus Course Rating multiplied by (5.381 men, 4.24 women) equals Slope Rating.
The lowest Slope Rating is 55 and the highest is 155. A golf course of standard playing difficulty has a Slope Rating of 113.
Don't worry, every golf course you play should have this already worked out for you on the day.
- Enter the USGA Course Rating, Course Slope (tee blocks played) and Gross Score for aminimum of 5 and maximum of 20 of your most recent scores. The Rating and Slope is usually found on the scorecard from the course. If not ask the pro-shop or administration.
- When you have entered all your scores, click the button titled “Calculate Handicap Index ®.”
- Find your Index ® in the light blue rectangle at the bottom of the table of scores.
- Calculate your Course Handicap using the formula below or clicking on this link.
- Calculate course handicap: Handicap index (times) Slope rating ÷ 113
IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS ABOUT THIS Page PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT BELOW, AND DON’T FORGET TO SHARE WITH YOUR GOLFING MATES AT YOUR FAVOURITE SOCIAL MEDIA ICON TO THE LEFT.
This post may contain affiliate links. I make money from these affiliate links to keep the site free for users, and it is no cost to you.